Thursday 8 December 2016

Telling Tales: Week 10 - Final Touch Up

We are left with Dan's final spirit paintings and polishing up for this week. I am done with my productions, so I spent the week cleaning up the VFX. I attempted thorough clean ups for the swooshing fire by applying some variations of feathering on different edges of the fire, adding a localised glow and also masking the bottom bit so that it looks transparent. 

Result of thorough clean up

However, I got tired of doing such arduous task, and since the result does not even fits in nicely to the animation, I decided to give up on spending too much time on cleaning up and did the simple featherings to all the remaining VFX. Instead of adding transparency, I made glow effects for each of the climax smokes to make it look more interesting and use the Colour Burn blending mode on Premiere Pro. Magnus taught me how to use the Action window on Photoshop which records actions that we did to a frame, and we can just click a button and it will apply the same changes for the other frames. It is definitely a handy tool which cuts down the time spent working on a repetitive tasks with multiple steps.

Glow for the smokes

I made some quick calligraphy writings for the title of our animation. I did not have time to experiment with some other fonts, so I decided to make use of the first typeface that comes out of my mind when I think of the word 'spirits'. I think that the typeface should definitely have a high degree of fluidity and lightness because the spirits in our animation is depicted as magic that floats around midair and rises upwards.


What I've chosen:



Final look after being edited by Dan:




No comments:

Post a Comment