Tuesday 16 May 2017

Documentary Animation - Week 15: Submission for LCA Sustainability Award and DVD Cover

LCA Sustainability Award

Tom, Rosie and I have intended to submit 'Noelline's Flood' into LCA Sustainability Award and some other festivals as encouraged by other tutors. We want to bring Noelline's story to inspire artists and also festival goers to have awareness on the issue of sustainability through the perspective of a flood victim. Here is our statement for the LCA Sustainability Award that we made together:




Submission E-Mail below:





As you can see from the emails I made an amateurish mistake during the submission by not making sure that the video has been converted before submitting and forgetting to submit the statement. It was a rushed submission. Luckily, Elli, who manages the submission for this Award, has been really nice to us and remind me to send a follow up email attaching the statement. We got by because it was an internal competition, but I will be more careful next time.



DVD Cover

While Rosie and Tom are doing the final compositing, I prepared for the LCA Sustainability Award submission and also designed the DVD Cover. I did a rough design that I showed to Rosie, but she does not seem pleased with the arrangement, and she told me that she imagined the DVD cover to be similar to children's book cover because our target audience is people from all age groups that are interested in environmental causes. Therefore, we thought of making it to be more attractive in children's eyes.

Rough 1 won't do. It looks segmented, and not interesting enough to grab the attention of the audience. I figure that the vignette border looks jarring in this design, and so I decided to start over.
Rough 1

The image below is the new roughs that I developed after looking at children's story book cover. I like the idea of incorporating the wavy water into the design because the story itself is about flooding. We liked the design with the beach wave as the front cover and Noelline looking down from the boat as the back cover. There is a continuity in the design, and it does not rely on displaying stills from the film because the composition itself is already balanced.

Other roughs

Inspirations from Pinterests and design considerations:

I feel that the blue colour of water is a good material to fill up the space in a book cover design. Furthermore, we have a lot of nicely textured water assets that we can use to make the cover more interesting. Both book cover designs that attracts me because the colour blue is mysterious, and it draws people's attention with a call for adventure to explore the unknown. The composition of these book covers also enhances this persuasiveness, which I want to consider in the DVD cover design.







Final Outcome

The final outcome is similar to what I expected it to be earlier, and I am pleased with the outcome. I followed the initial plan to take some still frames and edit them in order to fit into the composition that I have designed earlier. The idea of a DVD cover is as a still image that can represent the whole story without giving any spoiler, just like making a book cover. After responding to the Penguin Random House Award for Responsive Module, assembling the composition across the cover spread becomes more natural to me. I focused on using big material images to fill up the page instead of using small pieces like what I did for Rough 1.

Final DVD cover design






No comments:

Post a Comment