Wednesday 4 May 2016

A Tale in the Stings: E4 Ident Mis-en-Scene

I researched the Disco culture from the 80s to get inspirations before developing the set for my animation. Instead of asking people around to dance for me, I checked out Saturday Night Fever, which is a disco films popular at that time, to take some of the dance moves that John Travolta does in the film.  


A friend of mine also recommended an obscure 30 minutes independent film titled Kung Fury. Although it is not disco related, it made me learn about the fluorescent colour palette used in retro films, an incorporate that to the final design of my set. The film emphasises on the tackiness of the 80s culture with badly done special effects which ironically gave aesthetic to the film. I found this interesting, and I might incorporate this to the mis-en-scene of the ident.


I also considered some disco artists that I'll look up when I'm looking at sound for the animation during the post production stage such as The Beegees, Giorgio Moroder, and Lipps Inc. 

Final set design for my ident:

I started by creating flat tiles for the dance floor. I thought that it will be great to make flickering dance floor and shining disco ball, but I might only do it if I have some time left after I'm done with animating the main actions. 


I've put all of the characters and effects together in one scene to see how they come together. I like how the scene turns out. Applying fluorescent colour to the zombie while making the colour of the robot more neutral gives a nice contrast between the foreground and the background.



No comments:

Post a Comment