Friday 6 May 2016

Another Dimension: Modelling Skills

We've been learning how to use Maya this term, and I had a love hate relationship with the software. Initially, I'm not really fond of the software because there is so much tool to use. Fortunately, I had a solid understanding on manipulating basic shapes to make an object through my experience working with Google Sketch Up, although its feature is quite limited.

The first session of Maya Induction went really quick that I can't grasp most of it, so I became disinterested with the software. I started familiarising myself why the complex interface during the Spring break and made my first Maya model, the truck! Matt's video tutorial helped me learn some shortcuts and basic tools used in Maya. I'm still confused with how the snapping works and the truck seems to be detached from the trailer as I tried to move them around. 


For the second task, 'Do It Yourself', I made a maracas. I forgot to screenshot the process so I will just briefly describe what I did to make it. I started by making a cube, scaled it up, and extended it to make a big block. And, I added 7 edge loops to the block using Insert Edge Loop Tool (under Mesh Tool). While in side view, I used the marquee selection tool, to select some of the edges and manipulate it to get the shape that I wanted.

To add a texture on an object, select the object, right click and click 'assign new material' and make a new Lambert. Change the name of it, and open the UV Texture Editor to get a mat of the cube. Save the mat on the image folder of the project and load it to photoshop to apply the texture on the mat. Load the texture on Maya by clicking the checkered square beside colour adjustment bar and type out the file location.







No comments:

Post a Comment