Wednesday 4 May 2016

A Tale in the Stings: E4 Ident Concept Design

The main character in the ident will be a robot who disco dances as he shoots the zombies. I looked out some robot cartoon characters like Bender and the Iron Giant, and draw inspiration for the design of my robot.




I incorporate some objects relevant to the disco culture like the disco ball, spotlights, mix tape, boom box, and retro sunglasses in the design. I drew a lot of initial designs before I decided the two designs that I'd like to use for the final product. The highlight of the design is its retractable arm, which can be turned into laser gun.


I tried to explore more possibilities of what the robot can do, but I did not managed to continue the process because I don't have enough time to do it before the critic session. The resolved design has flexible joints. Although I'd like to take the challenge of making the squarish robot dance with some quirky dance moves, I prefer animating human-like figure because I can immediately use reference. I took the easy way out as this is a short project, in which I can't afford to spend too much time creating a well-developed character.


I look up for some zombie artworks online since zombie apocalypse has been a popular theme in comics, films and games, which gave me the gist of how zombie would look like if it does exists. A zombie has green coloured skin tone, white eyes, dislocated joints, and some parts of its body ripped apart.




I tried to draw many faces which I think will look like a zombie, while keeping in mind that I would like my designs to be wacky instead of scary. The designs that I like were highlighted in purple. As I will be drawing more than one zombie, I might have to exhaust all of the designs that I did during pre-production.


Some studies on zombie movements that I did while watching a play-through of Walking Dead the Game Season 2 on YouTube, Zombieland and World War Z.


No comments:

Post a Comment