Saturday 21 January 2017

Responsive: Loopdeloop Cute - Colour and Animation

Last week, I have watched several ballet videos from Svetlana Savelieva which is a prestigious ballet academy in Russia. And, I decided to use one of their exam footage as a reference video for my animation. I will use the reference video to study the motion, maybe do quick sketches of the key poses in order and incorporate it into my frog character.

Reference video:

Key poses:


The choice of colour for the animation will be soft pastel maybe similar to Degas's ballet commission paintings. The reason is quite straightforward: I want to keep the soft characteristic of the endeavour and contrast it with the bold colour of the frog character. I thought of having an orange tinge to pastel pink of the tutu will make it more interesting, yet still delicate.

one of Degas's commissioned ballet painting

The colour palette used in Danish Girl is similar to Degas's painting, but more vibrant. I am also fascinated by the fabric details in every costume in the movie. I was inspired to colour the frog turquoise after seeing this scene from the movie.

from the movie Danish Girl
As for the background of the animation, I used a free rice paper texture I found online. I cropped different segments of it and stitch them up on Photoshop to make a looping background animation. I found that a looping animation of textured material makes the animation more interesting than just a still background.


Submission proof:












No comments:

Post a Comment