Wednesday 18 January 2017

Responsive: Pecha Kucha Presentation

In preparation for Collaborative Practice, we are asked to make a concise presentation of our recent works, interests and our chosen briefs. So, here is my slides in unintentionally reverse order, but presenting in this makes more sense after people looked at my slideshows.

Chosen Briefs

Expectation


I would like to focus my career on creating creative and convincing narrative which can make a difference in the society. This is why I am interested in doing the campaign briefs. I don't intend to be preachy, but I believe that any narrative needs to have each of their own purpose.  For instance, campaigns' ultimate goal would be informing the masses of the considerations to be made on a decision-making relating to some kind of issues because they hold the power to make social change.

The hardest challenge would be finding the right person to work with. I want to work with someone like-minded and have an interesting body of work, we do not necessarily have to have the same interests. Having a partner or partners with different interests would probably be better because they can introduce some new interesting things. Doing a professional briefs also means that there are some audience demography and ethical consideration.




Current Muse


It is difficult to choose just 4, they are just too much. I can't even name some of the artists/animators I liked a year ago. My muses change over time, but here's what I currently like and a brief reason of why I like it:

(Clockwise from the middle)

Regular Show - I like the show because of the unexpected turns in some of the episodes. It usually started off as normal, but the direction of the story can turn into something really messed up and unearthly. On a side note, I think that the watercolour background fits in perfectly with the art style. Good example of hybrid animation.

Studio Ghibli - Unlike Disney, Hayao Miyazaki does not undermine the capacity of the child audience to keep up with the complex themes in the narrative of Ghibli's animations.

Mabel Ye - 18 years old Calarts prodigy who I found on Instagram. I admire her work even though she's younger than me. Her sketchbook is really inspiring. She experimented a lot by playfully combining between bold coloured geometries and characters.


Works I did for OUAN 504 - Character and Narrative

Skills 


I am interested in pre-production work such as idea generation, research, idea development and thumbnail sketching.

I have a flexible approach to work and I like to experiment with medium. So, there is no set way of working, my only concern is to have a conceptualised idea to work towards before starting the hands on work, and afterwards decide which software is best to use in order to realise the idea.

I like hand-drawn animation the best because of the freedom to make the subjects move. They do not have controls which makes them move in a systematic manner. Although under time constraint, I would probably use After Effects to animate because I am familiar with its interface and I don't have to draw everything frame-by-frame.


I definitely know close to nothing about rigging on MAYA, but I am alright in modelling and texturing. I enjoyed animating in MAYA for my last project because my partner, Dan, created user-friendly character rigs, which makes it accommodates us to apply Squash and Stretch on the rigs.

This is a video explaining the Squash and Stretch principle which I am talking about:






No comments:

Post a Comment