Thursday 5 January 2017

Responsive: Loopdeloop Cute - Idea Development

Cat is the first thing that cones to my mind when I think of the word 'Cute' being domesticated animal that people always posted online. However, this project will not have cats!

I set a challenge for myself to venture beyond cat videos, and does not drift away from the qualities that makes cat adorable. What attract me the most from cats is they think that they are intelligent, but sometimes it backfired and makes them looking really cute. Other than cat, I found squirrels cute as well because they are a hell of an energetic fur balls. There are a lot of things that I can define as cute, that I am stuck thinking of getting around the theme to respond creatively to the word 'cute'.


The loopdeloop brief itself was set loosely so the past submissions are not confined into a set of style. Even the winners are quite randomly chosen. This competition is totally different from the Penguin Random House Award that have a lot of requirements to it, and I realised that I can't take the same approach that I did for the Penguin competition. While thinking of approaching the brief, I imagined that it is quite similar to what we did for Process and Production module last year when we were given words to come up with an animation. I remembered we had a theme 'The Other Side' and we all came up with a totally different animation. Well, loopdeloop is more or less like 'The Other Side' brief, but instead of going to another side, it loops back to the start, so what I have to think about is how the animation comes back to its starting point.

So these are the ideas that I had in mind:
  • A girl that bring this slug-like man bubble tea, and he slurps the tea and once he's done the girl comes back again. This was inspired by my addiction to tea (but not bubble tea) when I kept on brewing new cup of tea once I am done drinking a whole cup and it becomes a routine. Although the idea cute because of its strangeness, it does not make it since I thought other people might not get it.
  • Sock monster is a shape shifting monster that will shapeshift once it swallows up a piece of sock. I can play around with my monster design even more, but shapeshifting is quite a basic thing many animators will do when they are lazy, yet only a few good ones can pull it off nicely.


I was frustrated because I can't come up with a groundbreaking idea for a solid day, so I decided to have a chat with Guy who really love fluid dance animation. He suggested me ballerina, and after a thorough consideration, I thought it might worth giving it a go since I have never done a fluid dancing animation. I am happy with the idea of ballerina, but making an animation of a person doing a Pirouette is a bit dull. So on this page below I thought of some good twist that I can use to make the animation interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment