Tuesday 21 February 2017

Documentary Animation: Week 3 - Storyboard, Animatic and Moodboard

Today, we decided to choose which story that we want to use in this project. I did a storyboard of the audio that I chose to develop last week, in which I tried to incorporate the beat of the sound in the storyboard. I made the storyboard based on what I imagined when I listened to the tracks, I thought playful images would suit the swanky music in the background. 

Storyboard Thumbnails








One thing that I enjoyed when making the storyboard is picking on materials that can be interestingly visualised to make the track more engaging to the audience. The rambly bits in the recording sort of puts me off because English isn't my first language, but I managed to write down a messily done script of Martin's water story. Just by listening to the track I can visualise the things that are verbally told, but I did gather reference images that helps me visualise things as I drew out the thumbnails, which I put on the moodboards later on. It helps me to These images helped a lot as a visual cues to what I want to sketch when I am having problem articulating what I had thought of.

This one is the things that stood out to me the most from the track, and probably something that have to appeal the most to the audience. Hence, I have to think through the visualisation of these things. They are the beat of the music from the background and the cows. The cows are interesting enough to be made as a comedic scene, probably something weird like cow's butt and tail wagging. It has a potential to engage the audience. I took note of how to visualise the beat of the music as well and stumbled upon some complex experimental music scores that is made as some sort of constructivist art. It is inspires me to play around with the silhouette of things; mostly rectangular shapes and straight lines to depict the fracking and drilling sites, which uses straight steel bars


Simply some compilation of fracking and coal seam gas (CSG) sites in Australia. I did incorporate some objects like pipes and the big steel boxes into the storyboard.


Hardest board to assemble! I had a difficulty visualising the end bit of the track when Martin talked about how water is precious and so forth. 'Precious' is intangible feeling and it is hard to depict it as an object. So, I took another approach which is to look at human interaction with water. Hopefully, by showing imagery of the small things that matter, it will help people realise how important water is for their survival. It is indeed cliched, but since Martin ended his story with a light-hearted tone the ending is best to be made positive.


After all of us finished storyboarding, we explained each of our storyboards to the group and we are contemplating between using Tom's and Rosie's tracks. Both have their own strong points but their connotation are a bit different. I thought Tom's storyboard looks good as a comic strip because of the visual style, it also works well with the track because David is a likeable character and he told his story in a comedic manner. Rosie's one is narrated by an 80-years-old woman, and we all agreed it is a stronger option because her voice sounds antique. The scope of the flood problem that she talked about in her story is more than just a mere stories of frog adapting to climate change and migrate away from their habitat. Aside of the narrative advantage, I love how Rosie thought of the smooth transitions she used in the storyboard. In the end, we decided to use the Fear of Water track that Rosie has storyboarded.

Tom, Rosie and I have agreed not to use mine in the end because there are clearer tracks that have the potential to be developed. However, I am even more convinced after putting the storyboard together as an animatic that the story told by Martin and the music does not go together, I think the music ruins the seriousness of the climate change issue he is talking about. It was such a downer because I really like the story that Martin told because it tells a lot about the pressing issue of climate change in a light-hearted manner.




No comments:

Post a Comment