Sunday 26 February 2017

Responsive: Loopdeloop Chicken - Free Range Chicken

After not being satisfied with my first idea of chicken butt, I tried to develop the concept into something else. I thought of another context in which the chicken eating grains is actually just a picture on a chicken truck, and in the end it is just an irony of the term free range chicken. Sounds like an animation that a vegan will make. I quite like the idea although I am not all that crazy about the vegan trend or movement, although I do want to protect the environment. Nevertheless, to be able to come up with a satirical idea is quite a rare thing for me. And so, I decided to scrape off the initial chicken butt idea. 

My initial approach to develop the idea is to do thumbnail sketches of different types of trucks that carries chicken to big cities to be chopped up. The chickens were kept together in a very tight space, each one of them squished each other's body and it is impossible for them to move. From drawing up the trucks, I realised that the space was rectangular in shape, and I decided to use a shape-based aesthetic for the animation.

Studies of truck
I have learned about shape-based illustration by looking at some the work my illustrator friends produced for our collaborative practice animation. They always talked about what makes an illustration interesting being the balance in arrangement of shapes, colours and textures in the composition. The idea appeals to me for this animation because I want to keep my animation simple, and I don't want it to move as much, but at the same time I still want to make it look interesting. I sketched out different compositions of the chicken; shifting the shapes around the composition to make the chicken looks like it is cramped to the extent that it can't move anymore.

Cramping up chicken in a rectangular box

Final mock up illustration that I want to use for my animation:






No comments:

Post a Comment