Thursday 30 March 2017

Documentary Animation: Week 8 - Background Painting

We have moved on from pre-production to production stage now. The task were split such that Tom will finish putting up the pitch bible and Rosie will start doing the keyframes. Meanwhile, I have thought about the background, painted some and do a medium test for some of the backgrounds that I have done so far.

First of all, I tried some puddle tryouts for the simplest background that we have.




I kept in mind what people have raised in the crit,  what I had in mind is a rather abstract background design, with less detail using bigger brushes. I think they will look nice, and I get to do something less controlled and more spontaneous than the backgrounds I have previously painted on the previous concept arts presented at the crit.







Final outcome of the background:


Incorporating the same style of painting to other backgrounds:

I t is quite a challenge to control the intensity of colour I applied on, so some of the backgrounds are a little too vibrant, and I might have to re-do it or edit it on Photoshop.






Test done by putting Noelline together with the background. They blends in quite well. I reduced the opacity of the hills background so that it looks less vibrant. I also put a higher intensity of yellow to Noelline so that the attention is still on her.

They way I work around the problem is to draw Noelline's outline, put a layer below the outline layer, paint it white, lock the layer so that the colour will not go over the white bit that I have painted earlier, and colour in the watercolour bits. I also took a part of the scanned background painting for the watercolour texture for Noelline and change the colour layer into multiply mode. By invert selecting the colour layer, I made a mask on the texture. 


Second test that I did for the puddle. I think this test goes better than the other one. It is probably because of the more diluted colour of the background. To make Noelline blends in I also created her reflection on the puddle by painting with darker shade of blue and yellow.




No comments:

Post a Comment