Friday 12 February 2016

A Tale in the Stings: Choosing the Brief and Brainstorming

We were given a new brief last week titled 'A Tale in the Stings', in which we have to choose one from 3 briefs given. I chose to do Idents over Title and Campaign because I want to try on different media, and the Idents brief is the only one that lets me to do so. 

I did a rough outline of what I want to do for my idents. The first step that I took is to pick the two company, which are E4 and National Geographic. I am not certain of what I am going to make for National Geographic, so I consider Hallmark as a back up.


I think I might start off with the E4 stings because I have some rough ideas for it. Since it is an entertainment channel, I'm planning to use vibrant colour in the animation. I am still deciding on the media that I will use. I am thinking it is either 2D digital or stop-motion. 

These are some of 2D digital animation inspirations for the idents that I will make. I'm particularly intrigued by the use of texture over minimalist settings, which reminds me of a lot of modern cartoons. Also, it will begun since I can put in any random stuffs related to popular culture like what they did at True Hot Story.


True Hot Story by Olga Capdevila and Genis Rigol


French animators, Laurent & Francoise, uses similar technique in LOLO but they uses variations of tone, shade and tints which works really good too. I might experiment between both of the style and see what is best for the ident.

LOLO by Laurent & Francoise
I want to get fun out of this project because I did not really enjoy doing 'The Other Side' project last time. So, I decided to watch some sting animation to find the ones that I really enjoy. Then, I will use them as an inspiration to make the idents.

I really enjoy process of model making, and I am interested to try stop-motion for one of my indents, and I think Lee Hardcastle had really done many good stings for Adult Swim. I'm not sure whether I can produce a work as good as his, but it will be worth trying.

To end off the post, here is Lee Hardcastle's awesome stings.


No comments:

Post a Comment