Monday 22 February 2016

Environmental Storytelling: Middleton Woods

Despite the fact that I did sketches at 3 places, I still went to Middleton Woods because I am addicted to observational drawing and I feel the need to be in a natural space after living in the city for 5 months straight. When I came to the woods, I did not expect it to be really muddy on a sunny day, but I was wrong. I got my shoes all covered in mud...

I'm glad that I went there because everything that I've drawn are mostly man-made and well-constructed; with the exception of Kirkstall Abbey because it is a ruin. So, drawing in the woods is a challenge because it is hard to focus on the shapes of natural subjects as they are more dynamic and disorderly.

I made a drawing of the pathway at the entrance of the woods that I did while sitting under a tree on a high ground as a warm up. I tried to make a variation of the boldness of the tone by controlling the pressure that I put on the charcoal stick. In this drawing, I haven't really got the shape of the trees, and I drew them with smooth lines instead.

Charcoal on A4 Cartridge Sketchbook

My friend, Guy, taught me how to do tree rubbings. I failed miserably on my first attempt because I torn the paper by rubbing too hard. This one is my second attempt at tree rubbing, which turns out alright. It is quick and fun to do.

Tree Rubbings with Graphite Crayon on A4 Cartridge Sketchbook

As I flip to the back of the page where I did the tree rubbings, I discovered that the tree sap leaves some interesting markings. This one might translate better the texture of the tree trunks than the rubbing I did with graphite crayons.

Tree Sap Rubbings on A4 Cartridge Sketchbook

I started to get used to drawing the jerky shapes of trees. I dab the charcoal onto the paper to quickly draw the leaves.

Charcoal on A4 Cartridge Sketchbook

Charcoal on A4 Cartridge Sketchbook

A less detailed sketch because my right hand is freezing, and it can barely moves, thus it is really hard to make solid lines.

Charcoal on A4 Cartridge Sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment