Thursday 4 February 2016

Environmental Storytelling: The Leeds Library

I spent my whole day in The Leeds Library sketching today! I am interested to sketch there because I am really fond of antique books, and it turns out that the library is much more interesting than what I had expected because the old interior of the library is well-preserved. I can consider myself as lucky that I could get in to the library and draw because it is restricted for members only.  The library is around 250 years old, and it has the first copy of Charles Darwin's writings from 1459. 

These are some detailed observational drawings that I did in the library. My object of interests are mainly those that can be found in a library like furnitures, staircases and books. I drew a man on the first drawing to see how he fits into the settings; it helps me to understand the proportion of a human relative to the whole interior. 






When I was there, I had a small talk to some friendly old ladies who works part time in the library applying preservatives to antique books and also an a programmer who is interested in comic illustrations. I had a good time talking about political comics with the guy after eavesdropping his conversation with another person for a while, and he told me about an annual talks about political comics by academics held in Leeds on the same timing as Thought Bubble. Overall, it had been a productive day in the library, not just drawing, but also learning interesting stuffs going on in Leeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment