Sunday 13 March 2016

Environmental Storytelling: Lilo and Stitch

Despite the overused Ohana quote, Lilo and Stitch remains my favourite Disney film. The reason for that is the watercolour background which suits the Hawaiian setting in the film as watercolour more faint than gouache, so that the atmosphere in the backgrounds seems more relaxed. The background serves as a visual cue to make the story more dramatic. For instance, by giving off the holiday nostalgia feeling to the audience, they can identify the feeling of coming into a new place, getting a culture shock and unwillingly leaving that place when they have to go back to their mundane daily routine as their holiday have ended. Hence, the backgrounds in Lilo and Stitch effectively enables the audience to relate to the dilemma that Stitch is facing throughout the film. 





After seeing these wonderful backgrounds I decided to experiment background drawing with watercolour, while keeping in mind the feeling that I want to convey to the audience. In the picture below, I developed a colour palette based on the mystic ambience that I want my painting to have. Sticking to the initial plan of making the woods mystical is hard as I often get the temptation to add some other colours as I painted. 



This is the end result of the painting: Still mystical on the foreground, but not so on the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment