Tuesday 8 March 2016

Environmental Storytelling: My Tedious Development

These are some developmental work that I've done for one of the environmental drawing. I used charcoal to do my observational drawing and do a quick rough sketch for the composition that I wanted. In this drawing, I think about drawing a composition where someone is peeking from behind the tree. The variation of thickness of line helps me to make sense of spacing that can't be derived from looking at the flat picture reference.
Observational Sketch

I also took a picture reference to refer to because I feel that the observational sketch does not have enough information to be developed into a final drawing. 

Picture Reference

I re-drew the background based on the observational sketch and picture reference using graphite crayons to draw the composition that I want for my final drawing. In the end, I decided to do my final drawing based on the shot in the picture reference, while still referring to the observational sketch as the variation of thickness of line in the drawing helps me to make sense of depth that can't be seen clearly from just looking at the flat picture reference.

Developed Sketch
Afterwards, I took a photocopy of the developed sketch and trace over it on a fresh sheet of paper to draw the outline.
Outline 
I scanned in the outline and painted it in Photoshop. I used 3 shades of orange to give the autumn feel for the background drawing.

Final Piece


No comments:

Post a Comment