Monday 25 January 2016

Model Making Workshops

Last week, we had an induction on making a simple armature, in which I am supposed to make a model of a character that I pre-made. The first step that I did was drawing her profile and front view to scale and marking up the joints.
Side Skeleton

Front Skeleton

Next, I made the armature by connecting twisted wires. The length of the wire needed will be measured using a string from the scaled drawing. I feel that this is the most difficult process of making the armature because the steel wires are ductile. I failed my first attempt building the armature because some wire snaps as I tried to twist them, so I decided to start afresh. I succeeded on my second attempt to make the skeleton armature as I decided to use an aluminium wire which is more malleable than the first one.

 Failed Arnature
After the skeleton's done, I stuck up some styrofoam scraps to the armature to get the gist of her body shape. Also, I blend plasticine with artificial catalyst, and mould them to the limbs while leaving some space for the joints. Unfortunately, I don't have any picture for this process.

The fun bit of this induction task is putting on the details to the armature. I used scalpel to carve contours of the character which makes the end result looks smooth. I wet my fingers while sculpting to get rid of the finger markings.


Bald Diedre
This is the end product. I am really proud of the end results because it resembles the original design, with slight modifications as I don't have any red coloured plasticine.

Finalised Version

No comments:

Post a Comment